Friday, December 14, 2007

the good oil

Well thanks to the guys from Veneziano in Richmond I now have some Papua New Guinea Kimel plantation A, and some Guatemalan Cinco Estrellas green beans to play with at home.

The boys there even dipped into their 'reserve' supply of Tanzanian Kilimanjaro, which they have imported in small batches especially for boutique blends for the barista comps, and kindly allowed me to purchase a small quantity of green beans to experiment with.

Not sure if these are the same beans that I tried at BBB from St Ali, and it is doubtful that I can replicate the same roast profile at home, but if they are the same beans or anything like them - all I can say is: WOW!

The single origin Kilimanjaro coffee I had at BBB absolutely knocked my socks off, and if I recall rightly I remember thinking at the time that the coffee has a delicious aroma of 'almond slivers and frangipani' - very subtle and knockout flavours that I had not encountered in a coffee before.

My previous incarnation as a sommelier for many years at least equips me with a reasonable vocabulary to explore the enticing aromas of coffee, if not more than a little purple prose!

David (Wushoes?) at Veneziano, and one of the other roasters there, also gave me a few pointers about what to look for in my roast, as they too have a couple of gene cafe coffee roasters out the back for sample roasting.

Thanks for the heads-up, guys.




No comments: